Sunday, February 26, 2012

Birthday Girl, Shake it for me, Girl

Hey friends...It's my Birfday! :)

Sean's out of town for the basketball state tournament in El Derado so it's me and my poops for a while. But my birthday celebration took place over the weekend.

Jason's My Kinda Party tour made a stop in Tupelo, MS, Elvis's birthplace, a little under 2 hours from home.

We missed the Jonesboro show for a game night, so I wanted to go. I mentioned it once but we never discussed it again. The time drew near and with my birthday approaching, I asked for a pair of work gloves to protect my hands from wood work and lifting during my projects. But they had to be cute. We got them at Home Depot and I was happy...

Then, Sean did me one better and revealed that he had gotten tickets and a hotel room for the show in Tupelo on the 25th, 3 days before my birthday! He had also talked with Jessica, Jason's precious wife, about us coming, who left meet and greet passes at will call for us to see Jason before the show. I couldn't wait.

After a quick stroll in Tupelo's adorable downtown, we ate, got ready, and went to the venue to pick up our tickets at will call.

But they didn't have them.

Sean checked his confirmation, which said they would be available for pick up at will call 1 hour before the show. We waited around until that time, but still...No tickets in our name.

The box office kept assuring us the tickets were a scam and did not exist, but Sean said, "I did my research, I know they're legit...there's got to be a mix up."

"You didn't buy them from us, we can't help you."

So we were helpless. We stood with another couple who had bought their tickets from the same place. They had gotten 2 of theirs but not the other 2. We stood around, in the cold, on hold with the company...listening to the same stupid "you're on hold right now and we're telling you you're next in line but who really knows" song replay for 45 minutes.

No answer.

Time was running out to find a way in. Sean walked around to the fence where the tour buses were parked to see if he could find Jason.
And he did!

But he was too far away to hear Sean calling out and never turned around. He asked several security guys to see Jason's body guard that he knew, but no one seemed to believe this guy who swears he knows Jason.

Another hour in the cold passed and droves of concert-goers flooded through the doors while we stood at the ticket window for tickets that seemed to not exist. Everyone stared like we were losers. We had Meet and Greet passes but they wouldn't let us in without tickets. Sean sat down on the bench next to me and looked at me like a lost puppy.

"I've just gotta call Jessica. That's the last thing I know to do."
We so hated to ask for help. He got our tickets for the last concert and we didn't want that again. But we were literally stuck 2 hours from home with no way inside.

We knew she wasn't there, but he called to see what she could tell us to do. No answer.
He sent a last ditch text message asking if there was anything she could do.

Meet and Greet time was about to be over, so as a last resort, I wrote a note to Jason on the back of our pass and we prepared to give them away to 2 lucky fans with the promise to show it to him so he would know that we were stuck outside. Sean walked from the ticket booth around to the door to pick the lucky winners. Just as he was about to make a hand off, his phone shook in my hand.

"Jason is sending 2 tickets to will call for yall. Tell Katie Happy birthday!" from Jess.

My heart flipped and with a huge crowd staring at me like a nutter, I hollered "Seaaaaaan!! Waiiiiit!!" while sprinting in my stupid Jessica Simpson pumps. Dumb decision.

"SEAN! Don't do it!! We're gooood!!"

I caught him just in time. When the tickets arrived, we promised the couple who was dealing with the same thing that we would get them in somehow. We felt kind of guilty, but the deadline to make it through meet and greet doors

Again with more sprinting, 'Run Run Rudolph' played in our heads as we ran around the arena to get there. "I'm sorry, you're too late. Doors are closed."

No! "Just tell him who it is please." (There goes that 'I call BS' look again.)
"No really!"

"Ok, I'm going to be nice."

We made it in.
My hands tingled with numbness from the cold and my makeup was smeared.
I was out of breath.
And thirsty.
I had to pee.
My hair was windblown.
My legs ached.

Any more complaints I can think of? Let's We were finally inside!

Sean received a delayed text from Jason telling us he sent tickets for us and asking if we needed anymore. We knew we had to try to help those other people if we could. Everyone circled around the room for their turn and finally we were the last standing.

He looked over...we just shook our heads and smiled.

"THANK. You. THANK. You," I said as I walked over.
"Seriously, man, thank you so much," Sean said.
"Hey! I didn't do it for you! he said pointing, "I did it for her!" We hugged. "I did it for her."
I buried my head and totally could have cried from relief if I let myself.

We told him about all the craziness. He set us up with a guy who gave us 4 more tickets and took back the original 2.

"Go find your friends and yall can sit together. These are...these are good," the man said.

With the 18th "thank you" to come out of our mouths, we went back outside to find the couple whose tickets were also "missing". They weren't there anymore.

Sean found another couple who could not get in because their seats were sold twice. They were in shock. We just made their night!

After contacting the couple with the same problems we had, we found out that the tickets finally arrived or were found at will call an hour after the show started. How ridiculous!?

We made it in time for the second half of Luke Bryan.

Who would be a really fun dance partner for me!

We were seated in the 3rd row of the back floor section, what seemed like a football field away from the main stage, just behind a tiny deejay stage.

They said they were on the floor in a good spot. All the way back here? Who cares.
We had cabbed it to the arena so we could really enjoy the show but couldn't even get a single drink because of having to deal with just getting through the doors.

Then, after EVERYTHING we'd been through, finally...Mr. Aldean entered the stage to a roar.

We were so glad it worked out in the end. I just kept envisioning driving 2 hours home in silence. We couldn't help but still wonder what the show would be like with the 18th row from the stage, center of the floor tickets that had been purchased but evaporated in thin air. UNTIL this happened.

Guitars and mics were discreetly set up on the wee little dj stage and Jason was aided through the crowd by security...until he was directly in front of us, just a few feet away. Ok...It makes sense now! He called out his buddy Luke for an acoustic set played to the back of the crowd.

A little Burnin' Love by Elvis and Sunday in the South by Shenandoah.

And Luke's "We Rode in Trucks".

Happy Birthday to me...And Mr. Jason Aldean:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.