Friday, December 3, 2010

Spinach Casserole and Turkey Phyllo Puffs

I hope everyone is recuperating from Thanksgiving a little better than I am. I worked the day before and the friday after so I never felt like I had the relaxation time that is required to stuff myself and sleep after like is usually required on a holiday such as Thanksgiving. I've lacked motivation ever since and fear I will remain this way until I get a break for Christmas. Which is 22 days away by the way! I've gotten the tree, mantle, and balcony done and will share soon. First, there's some leftover business to take care of from Thanksgiving...literally.

For Thanksgiving day I made a spinach casserole for both my family and Sean's. I really like the ideas I got from the recipe from Allrecipes.com , and added a few twists as well. The ingredients left me with a perfect setup to transform leftover turkey into a new supper. Here, you'll find both.

Spinach Casserole

What you need:
  • 2 10oz pks frozen chopped spinach (I used 1 16oz) thawed and squeezed of excess water
  • 8 oz crumbled feta cheese
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend
  • 2 tbs distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (I sauteed minced garlic with chopped onions)
  • salt and pepper to taste (I added 1/2 pk onion soup mix instead)
  • 16 oz pk Phyllo dough
  • melted better to brush on crust
*I added:
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • crumbled bacon
What to do:

Preheat oven to 425. Place spinach in large mixing bowl and add feta cheese.


Add mozzarella...

Vinegar...


Cream cheese and garlic/onion if using...


Cream of mushroom...


And onion soup mix.



Mix well and set aside.

Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole and place a layer of a few sheets of Phyllo in the bottom.




Spread a layer of spinach on top then repeat 2x...

...brushing with butter between layers.



Add a little crumbled bacon (just because everything is better with bacon...) to the top spinach layer and top with last Phyllo layer.



Brush with butter and bake for 20 minutes.

AND... There's no after pic. We were rushing out the door...
But it was yummy and one of the best mixes of ingredients I've tried for a spinach casserole.

We have been blessed/plagued with delicious leftover turkey from 3 different families. I can't stand to let anything go to waste so here's what I made using the leftover turkey, phyllo dough and cream cheese from the spinach casserole, and pantry staples.

Turkey Phyllo Puffs

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten lightly ( I omitted because I was out)
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated (I used more)
3 ounces cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups turkey, cooked and cubed
1/2 cup butter melted
12 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed

In saucepan melt butter. Add flour gradually. Stir in broth and milk.

Cook over medium heat. Stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Beat mixture into eggs, then return egg mixture to pan.

Add cheese... ...Pepper and nutmeg

...and turkey.


Brush inside of muffin cups with melted butter. Stack 12 sheets phyllo dough together. Brush each with butter. Cut into 6 pieces. Line muffin cups with phyllo.



Fill with turkey filling. Fold corners of pastry over filling to cover.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Let stand in pan 5 minutes before removing.

We ate with our fingers and enjoyed every bite. A note if you try these: I thought the mixture was too liquid-y when I poured them into the muffins, and drained a little out of half of them. The ones with all the excess liquid were creamy and flavorful with perfect consistency. SO, the oven soaks up the liquid and makes creamy goodness. So don't drain!

This recipe comes from CD Kitchen. I plan to use up the rest of the Phyllo and cheese to utilize our leftover ham next!

XOXO,
Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.