Monday, October 25, 2010

Entryway Staircase and Vintage Telephone Table

I love "statement" entryways. I've had a few images bookmarked for a long time now and combined elements from each to create an artsy, bold entryway for our house. As a reminder, here's a before pic of our entryway taken when the previous owner still lived there:


I picked up this vintage telephone table, also known as a "gossip bench" at a little thrift store in West Memphis called Sacks Thrift Avenue for $30. It was thickly painted with a green and white crackle paint and was an absolute nightmare to sand off. It was one of those projects where I'm cussing myself in my head for taking it on.

See? He's giving me the "I can't Ba-LIEVE you brought this thing home" look.

But it always pays off when I see it through to the finish, and I LOVE how this turned out.

Before:



After:




I knew I wanted it red as soon as I saw it. I painted it red with a can of paint left by the previous owner of our house, sanded areas to distress, then coated those areas lightly with a black stain and glossed it over with polyurethane. I hate that the camera could never capture the true wall color. It's a deeper teal than it looks in the pics.

A close up of the distressing:

Lastly, the cushion was recovered with solid black fabric, that will probably be changed out frequently based on my mood.

I'll stack books underneath and there's a little clipboard to leave notes on top. I bought it at my favorite salvation army store back in conway. It was brass and, well, just plain fugly.

Before:

But it was $.5o and I knew it would be precious. All it took was a coat of oil rubbed bronze spray paint.

After:

The genie-inspired lamp was another salvation army find, and I actually think I found it on that same trip. It was also brassy and cost only $4.00. I spray painted it with silver spray paint and put a temporary white shade on, until I can find a cute patterned one.

I took a before pic but it was so long ago that I can't find where it's saved...sorry!

In a red frame I found lying around, I placed an 8x10 photo Sean and I took the day we got engaged. I found the red painted wood at a local flea market for $.50 and on it, wrote a scripture from Song of Solomon with the date we got engaged in roman numerals.

Before:

After: "I have found the one whom my soul loves."
Song of Solomon 3:4
9.12.10


Piece by piece, this big puzzle is coming together. I've got kitchen, office, and guest bedroom projects to show, so check back!

~The Grays

Linking to:

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Lurve, lurve, lurve it...all of it! Now I want to paint something teal!lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I love the clipboard.

    ~Mrs. Delightful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on my favorite blog, BetterAfter and was wondering if you'd share this beauty over on my link party Trash to Treasure Tuesdays over on Kammy's Korner! Nice work!! http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2011/10/trash-to-treasure-tuesday-link-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bright colors! So much better! Gorgeous job! Come check out how to make a yarn flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I LOVE that lamp!! Great find.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.