Wednesday, April 7, 2010

~Motivation to Move~

~"To keep the body in good health is a duty...otherwise, we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear."~
-Buddha

Flipping through some VS catalogs last weekend, Nina, Ashley and I admired the insane, no doubt airbrushed bodies of the models, and mentally prepared ourselves for slipping into those little suits in a few weeks.

Like all girls, Ashley said, "I wish my butt looked like that," and Dustin, being the good husband that he is, replied...
"It already does..."
:) Boys take note.

When you follow a regular workout regimen, it's inevitable to struggle for motivation at some point. I've kicked up my typical 4 day/week routine to a higher intensity 5 day/week in preparation for summer...Just 7 more weeks until Memorial Day weekend!

A while back, I also put together workout plans for Sean and I with each specific move to be done organized into a chart and laminated onto cardstock. So, instead of haphazardly choosing what to do next or...my favorite...lying on the mat while I'm "deciding" what to do next, we have it all laid out and waste no time guessing what to do. Trust me, it's worked wonders. I carry it with me throughout the workout and know that I accomplished something when I'm done.

"Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it." -Plato

Even though the days are long, I'm following through. But at times, struggling with believing that I'm enjoying it.

So, the first thing I do when I'm in a rut, is shake up my workout mix. I've discovered that I run better to the blues, strength train best to bass-heavy R&B, and have a few certain "pick-me-up" songs that I scroll to to instantly pep up my mood.

My Ipod is definitely a crutch I rely on. And I feel, if it gets me working out every day, that's ok! It puts me in the zone and blocks out the pain and weakness. I may be seen as that snob at the gym who doesn't wave or talk to anybody, but, sorry! I'm aware of no one. I've got a job to do. So here's a little taste of my favorite workout songs so you can add them to your musical motivation.


Runnin' the Blues Away:
If you like the blues and you run as part of your workout routine, try this! I so wish I had realized it before...There's something about the vibe, the beat, and the tempo that suits running PERFECTLY. Especially when I run outside on the trail, if these songs are in my ear, an hour passes in no time.

I can love you like a woman-Koko Taylor
Let the Juke Joint Jump-Koko Taylor
Let the good times roll-Koko Taylor
Pride and Joy-Stevie Ray Vaughn
Blue on Black-Kenny Wayne Sheppard
Spank-Kenny Wayne Sheppard ft Kid Rock
Fine Little Mama-Elmore James
Rock me baby-BB King ft Eric Clapton

Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's physical, emotional, and mental states. -Carol Welch


Songs to pump to:

"Battlefield"- Jordin Sparks
Makes ya feel like a soldier.

"Rockstar 101"- Rihanna
Badass song with a badass vibe. BEST for lifting weights.

"Boom Boom Pow"- Black Eyed Peas
Great bass beat.

"I Can Transform Ya"- Chris Brown ft Lil Wayne and Swizz Beatz
Or, you can transform yourself.

"Go Hard or Go Home" -E-40
The name speaks for itself.

"Remember the Name"-Fort Minor
-"This is 10 percent luck, 20 percent skill, 15 percent concentrated power of will
5 percent pleasure, 50 percent pain, and 100% reason to remember the name."


Pick-me-Ups:
These have a feel-good vibe and instantly lift my mood.
"Body Language"- Jesse McCartney
"Flying Machine"- Everly
"Made" -Jamie Scott
"Icecream Paint Job"- Dorrough

Don't forget to stretch!
Some songs on my cool down mix:
Dear Life-Anthony Hamilton
Hollywood's not America-Ferras
I wanna make you close your eyes-Dierks Bentley
Killing me Softly-The Fugees
Hallelujah-Kate Voegele (or any version you like)

The next thing I do for motivation when I need it, is look for it. Everyone has their personal goals of what they want to achieve. I take a quick look at someone who's already achieved it, then head to the gym ready to work. For example...

Yes, please.

The last thing I do is buy a new swimsuit and think about wearing it. Remember that Special K commercial (or was it yoplait?) a while back with the yellow polka dot bikini, where she hangs the suit where she can see it everyday? Not quite that direct, but just a little purchase for some extra motivation. My fave swimsuits of this summer are coming up in a later post, so check back soon.

7 weeks til memorial day. Go forth and exercise!
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." -Nelson Mandela

XOXO,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.