Thursday, July 29, 2010

Skillet Shrimp and Sausage with Rice

8 huge links of Portuguese sausage were the last of the goods brought back from Hawaii by Devin's cousin. I knew just the perfect meal to make with a couple of the links. It's one of those stand-by meals I make for me and Sean about once a month and it's one of the most flavorful, comforting suppers.

It was especially good when I made it this time, because the sky had let loose with a crazy storm and we were all a little soaked from the downpour. It's a recipe from Rachael Ray and it will always be one of my easy favorites.

Her recipe gives the quantities and instructions for making 3 meals at once and freezing the two, but I'll break it down into what I used for a meal for the 4 of us. We had little bit of leftovers for lunch the next day.

Ingredients
2 cups white rice
1 Ib frozen shrimp (cooked or raw; mine were cooked)
2 links of sausage (mine was Portugese, you can use chicken-apple, spicy jalepeno, whatever you want!)
2 tbs butter
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
3-3 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 stalks of celery, chopped (optional, my addition)
Tony's or other creole seasoning (optional, my addition)
A couple shakes of hot sauce (or to your taste)

First, prepare all of your ingredients by chopping your onion, bellpepper, sausage and celery (if using).


Heat skillet to Medium-High and add olive oil and butter.



Add the UNCOOKED rice, onion, bellpepper, and celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to coat all ingredients.



Now add your sausage and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.


Next, add in your can of tomatoes with all the juice, season with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning, such as Tony Chachere's (if using), and then add you chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower the heat to Medium-Low. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 17 minutes, or until rice is tender.

Add in your shrimp and stir for about 2 minutes if the shrimp are precooked and 5 minutes if they are raw.


Just before serving, I added a couple shakes of Hot Sauce, such as Tabasco or Louisiana. Each person can add as much or as little spice as they'd like to their own bowl. It should be hot, thick, creamy and juicy!

Mmm...I'm craving more now! Trust me, it is SO good. Keep this in mind for the next rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.