Friday, November 19, 2010

Cozy Guest Cottage

The colder and darker the nights start to get with winter approaching, the more I want to curl up in our little guest room with a cup of hot apple cider, pajama pants, and a good book.

You know me...There is, of course, much more I would like to do in here, but it is presentable enough for a guest to stay, so it must be presentable enough to show you.



The walls in our guest room have a faux suede finish, with rough, stony texture. The room is a little cottage escape with an old wrought iron bed, distressed furniture, and antique candle sticks. It looks so inviting with lamps and candles lit.

The bed was in my room for years after my mom and I picked it up at a flea market. It was white with brass fixtures, and I just gave it a few coats of spray paint in Ivory and Almond.


You've seen the wooden sign I made before here.
I found an old, hunter green decorative shelf in a box at home and spray painted it Almond for the sign to be displayed on.



I painted this little display shelf cream to hold a random beginning collection of salvation army and thrift store candlesticks.


I showed you the dresser makeover already. Here it is with the old mirror I painted. I found the birdcage years ago on clearance at Hobby Lobby the cottag-y clock was my Meemaw's.




The black and white photo is of my grandma and grandpa on there wedding day.


I painted this 2-sided distressed wooden postcard to look antique and romantic. I adore it!


I found the side table at a flea market in Conway for $15. It has a cute round cobblestone top and curved legs. The lamp was brass and I spray painted it glossy cream to match.


I have an envelope full of real vintage photos I found in Meemaw's stuff that I want to get copied and frame for the walls and I still want to find some old shutters or windows for an art piece. Here are some of the photos I had saved that inspired the room...

I love the castle door head frame and the shutter doors!

I would have never put the shutters, windows, and frames together like this on my own. I am in L.O.V.E with it.


This pic made me see what the gaudy gold mirror I had in my garage could be!

So, yes, it is still a work in progress, but how do you think it turned out? Any suggestions?

Stay tuned for the next room:)

XOXO,
Katie





1 comment:

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.