Friday, March 12, 2010

Chicken Spinach Pizza w/ Fetta and Mushrooms

Best. Pizza. Ever. Period. Like I mentioned before, most meals I make are my own version of something I've had at a restaurant. Last October, Sean and I went on a cruise with some friends and I had a piece of pizza that I fell in LOVE with. Today, I was off work because my CI's kid is sick, and Sean was going to be studying all day for the Praxis-II tomorrow. I threw together my own version of that pizza and OH MY. SOOO good. You have to try it!

Chicken and Spinach Pizza w/ Fetta and Mushrooms
Sauce Ingredients:
4 tbs butter
1 tsp minced garlic
4tbs flour
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 cup milk
3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese


Pizza Ingredients:


Can of Refrigerated Pizza Dough
Pkg Frozen Spinach
1 boneless skinless chicken breast
6-7 mushrooms (I used baby portabello and shittake I had leftover from another meal)
8 oz Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
4-5 oz fetta cheese (found pre-packaged with the deli cheeses)
Extra virgin olive oil
Non-Stick cooking spray
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp Italian Seasoning

To prepare, preheat oven to 400 degrees and thaw 4-6 oz spinach in microwave, 2-3 minutes. Cut chicken breast in chunks. (I use scissors that stay in the kitchen...BEST cooking tool! I find it easier to snip into chunks than to cut with a knife). Circle skillet 1-2x with evoo and place chicken in skillet. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and cook through, 5-7 minutes. Set aside in a bowl. In that skillet, add 1 tsp butter and saute chopped mushrooms, 3-5 minutes. Set mushrooms aside, emptying the skillet. (Can you tell I like to do as much in one pan as possible? I hate dirty dishes!) Now, in that pan, you'll make your sauce. Add the butter and garlic. Cook on Medium until melted. Add flour, salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning and stir into butter. Add milk, and use wire whisk to eliminate lumps. When smooth, add Parmesan Cheese and stir until melted. When sauce begins to bubble, turn off and stir well. Grease cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spread out pizza dough. Spread sauce onto dough. Add chicken and mushrooms. (My faithful fan looks on:)Squeeze as much moisture out of spinach with several layers of paper towels (or cheese cloth if you have it. I don't...). Salt spinach and sprinkle onto pizza. Next, add fetta cheese crumbles and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15-18 minutes. I was running low on Mozzarella so mine had some Monterey Jack and Asadero, hence the yellow. We had it with a salad and, what else, sweet tea. Sean gave the cheesy, thumbs up approval! We're having leftovers again for supper tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.