Friday, June 25, 2010

Homemade Southern Sign

My latest artistic obsessions are painted signs. I've been perusing etsy and other creative decor sights for ideas and doing some of my own.

This one, I spotted in my friend Lindsay's apartment and LOVED right away. I flipped it over to view the maker's name on the back and found Magnolia Lane Collection. I loved their website and found lots of ideas for painted or decoupaged picture frames, wall decor, and paintings. But this sign remained my favorite. We had a bunch of leftover wood from our scoreboard project so I got Sean to cut several pieces of wood in different shapes. Here's the first of many I have in the works...



I sanded the edges smooth and gave the surface a light sanding as well, but wanted to leave the rustic wood grain. After I painted a coat of creamy off-white, I used a calligraphy marker to write the text then gave a rub over the whole thing again with some sandpaper to distress a bit. It's imperfect and I love it! I can't wait to show what else I'm working on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.