Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Jambalaya Pasta

I love when leftover ingredients from previous meals perfectly form another dish. It saves a trip to the store and makes sure that nothing is wasted. Last week, I made my Cajun Pizza with Shrimp and Andouille. A few days ago I sauteed a squash and zucchini mix from Nonnie's garden and we also had Italian One Pot Pasta.

Together these recipes yielded almost all the ingredients I needed for one of our spicy creole favorites; Jambalaya Pasta. It comes from a favorite cookbook of my Dad and I and can be found at A Taste of Home. It's loaded with vegetables and has a great spicy kick. There's also a ton of ways to change it up so you can make it exactly how you like it! Feel free to omit or add anything you want...I always do!

Ingredients

  • 1/4 pound bulk spicy pork sausage (I used a link instead of bulk but it's really good with bulk too.)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes (I omitted chicken this time.)
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Cajun stewed tomatoes
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1/3 cup salsa
  • 1 medium carrot, julienned (I omitted)
  • 1 small yellow summer squash, sliced and quartered (I used the cooked squash and zucchini I already had)
  • 1 small zucchini, sliced and quartered
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • Red pepper flakes (My optional addition)
  • 1 cup frozen cooked shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
  • Hot cooked pasta (I used egg noodles leftover from before but had made with spaghetti too.)
  • 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled ( I used crumbled Real Bacon in the package)
  • Parmesan Cheese (My optional addition)

Directions

In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.

{I used leftover pre-cooked sausage links so I added a little olive oil and didn't need to drain because it wouldn't yield any fat.}

Add chicken; cook until chicken is no longer pink.

{I didn't use chicken}

Add the tomato sauce...

Canned tomatoes and salsa...

Carrot (didn't use), squash and zucchini...

And now all your seasonings.

*Now you can boil your pasta so it will be ready to toss in when sauce is done.*

Bring to sauce to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. {I only simmered for about 7 minutes since my veggies were already cooked and just needed to be warmed through}


Stir in shrimp; heat until shrimp turn pink.

{2-3 minutes}

Serve over cooked pasta; sprinkle with bacon.

Yield: 4 servings.

I added red pepper flakes to the seasonings and added parmesan cheese to the top.
It's so good! Another delicious pasta dish to add to your repertoire. Enjoy!

XOXO,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all! Tell me what you think.